Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Back 2 School Linky - Behavior Management


I'm in denial that it's already mid-July so I'll just keep pretending that I don't see all the back to school supplies in stores (and also in my spare bedroom...). Even if you're in denial like me, be sure to check out the weekly link up from Mrs. D's Corner and Miss V's Busy Bees because there's going to be lots of great tips for back to school!


This week is all about behavior management. I can't wait to read what everyone says about this! It's my favorite topic! I work really hard at the beginning of each year to make sure my new Kinder kiddos know exactly what I expect of them so we can have a successful year.


This may surprise you, but up until last year I had never used a behavior clip chart! The only reason I use one now is because my school sees it as the "core" behavior system for all the students. Needless to say, my students' clips are used on our literacy station chart and my behavior clip chart is just on display... whoops!

So what do I do instead? Well, that's a whole other blog post I have planned but... I have this funky "pocket" system where my kids earn popsicle sticks and put them in these magnetic pockets on the board. Each day they start fresh with earning sticks - unlike the clip system where you start on a certain color and move up or down. My "pocket/stick" system is all about earning!
As you read tip #2 below, you'll see that I like to focus on the positive...

Once school gets started (or once I'm no longer in denial and head back to my classroom) I'll take some pictures of how I set up and use this system and I'll get a whole post up for you! 
Click on this picture and look in the background. You can see the pockets with sticks!
I promise I'll get better pictures and a more in-depth explanation for you soon!

In the meantime, here's what I'll tell you about today! *BRAG TAGS!!*
I started using these last year and fell in love! Easy, cheap, and doesn't involve candy or my treasure box as a reward! My students love earning these little tags to put on their backpacks. Best and easiest behavior management system that I've tried! I don't know what it is about a little piece of paper, but my kids loved earning these! Brag tags are just a simple way to reinforce and reward those positive behaviors we are looking for without focusing on the negative.

I'm a "focus on the positive" kind of girl so I try to model that with my
behavior management in the classroom! My students know what brag tags are available for earning and when I create new ones I'm sure to share it with them. This is an easy way to remind them of my expectations! I love seeing how the students react when one of their friends earn a tag...a little straightening up in their seats and some hardcore paying attention. Like I said, focus on the positive and you'll get it!!

I currently have 8 brag tag packs in my store and 5 brag tag freebies!
The newest addition to my brag tag collection are these award tags. These tags are for daily, weekly, monthly, or even quarterly recognition! This is a whole lot easier than printing a certificate or writing out an award!


Just print, laminate the whole page, and cut! Punch a hole at the top and have your students hang them on backpack keychains or make necklaces to wear at school!

I'm also working on a new pack of tags by request.
(Yes, I take requests!! Just leave it in a comment here or in the Q&A in my store. I love hearing your ideas!) The new pack will have those milestones that kids should just know - how to write their first and last name, phone number, address, birthday, left from right, etc.


Here's a little something to start off your school year and brag tag collection! This is from my special school days pack. Just click on the image to grab your freebie!
(Background: Sassy Designs - Font: Mrs. Leeby)
Read more about my brag tags here.

Don't forget to check out the other tips on behavior management in this week's linky!



4 comments :

  1. I had to do a clip chart when I started at my school and I've really disliked it! This year I've already gotten everything ready to go to do the Popsicle sticks! I'm really looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay Erin!! We're going to show everyone the "stick" way!!! :)

      Delete
  2. Hey Elyse!

    Thanks for linking up with Stephanie & myself for our B2S Weekly Linky! We're so happy to have you!!

    I love the fact that you don't use a behavior chart/clip chart. I used it this year because that's what the school used, but I don't think I'll ever use it again - it was my first year ever teaching and I didn't see that it had much positivity in the classroom! Instead, I love the idea of positive reinforcement through brag tags. What an AWESOME idea. How often do you give out tags?? Do you find that the kiddos constantly beg for them, or do they kind of just accept them when they're given??

    Thank you for sharing your insight on behavior management! I hope to see you at this week's link up all about assessment!

    Sara
    Miss V's Busy Bees
    ventrellasara@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sara!! It's nice to hear that we agree on the clip chart! I found that it varied with how often I gave out the tags. There are some tags that all the kids would earn and then others that are just given when they reach an academic goal or display a proper behavior. My kids never begged for them (I like to think they know better!) but they would do a good job at reminding me to give them a tag if I forgot!

      Delete